My friend Renay Presley Zamora of Sweetface Cakes dropped this HUGE WOW on me today! I seriously HATE covering square cakes in fondant. When brides ask for square cakes, I cringe. I admit it. She posted this simple tutorial on how to get perfect square corners and it went kinda like this in my brain.
BOOM!!! what??? OMG! *dead*
Yea. Kinda like that.
Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked if I could share this genius little tidbit of info with all of you! You’re welcome!
- Cover your buttercreamed or ganached cake in a big piece of fondant
- Use a smoother to smooth down the fondant on each side until it’s flat
- Using two fondant smoothers, press them together at the corners as pictured with a little pressure until…
- BOOM! The fondant corner pops right off and you are left with a super clean and sexy sharp corner!
- Use your smoothers to sharpen up the rest of the edges
- Use a bench scraper to trim off the excess fondant
Renay uses a ball of fondant to smooth out her rough edges afterwards but you can use your hands or a bit of shortening or whatever works for you.
Thank you Renay for sharing your awesome knowledge!